Now most of you are wanting the how-to on how to do this, because it very well can be intimidating and a little scary. If I was a guy I would be feeling the same way and I am very glad I didn't have to ask my husband's father or mother for permission to marry their son. Truth is, there really is no how-to because everyone is different and every circumstance is different. Here are some tips that I recommend based on other people's experiences as well as my husband's.
- Make sure your soon-to-be bride has no idea you are planning on talking to her father. It makes it more of a surprise for her.
- Usually most guy's talk to the bride's father the week before or few days before they plan on popping the question.
- Be prepared for questions he may ask and be relaxed. Hopefully you have met him a few times before this point (for your benefit) and can anticipate what he may ask you.
- If you can't meet to talk to him in person, then arrange a phone call where you are alone and won't have any distractions or interruptions.
- Practice in the mirror a few times before you call or meet him.
I have never known of anyones father turning the man down except in some TV shows so your chances are in your favor. You got this!
|Jef Holm asking Emily Maynard's father permission on The Bachelorette|